MORE from Katie's Modern Nest

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Coloring Outside of the Lines  Originally Blogged Here


This is my entry in the Blogger's Quilt Festival


 

This is my first modern quilt. 
This is my FAVORITE modern quilt. 
This is the quilt that inspired my new passion of creating asymmetrical, non-matching eye-catching quilts. 


With the birth of my son Max, came the unavoidable nesting phase.  Except I had no desire to mop and organize…I just wanted to create.  Build, form, bring together…sewing a baby blanket satisfied my emotional need to MAKE something that matters. 







Inspired by the beautiful work of Denyse Schmidt, I began this quilt dreaming of the little baby who one day snuggle under its colors.  In my mind he would lie peacefully in his crib, sucking his thumb and smiling gratefully at is uber-talented mother while caressing the quilt.


Then reality sunk in.  Max does LOVE his quilt, but not for snuggling.  This baby gets dragged around the kitchen floor...


shared with the dog...




 


 acts as a launch pad for his latest gymnastics...




and is perfect for playing trucks and for chasing the sock monkey.


11 comments:

  1. What a nice lasting gift for your son! I'm sure that he'll always treasure it. My mother made my sons each a quilt and they still have them as their "blankies." They are hardly recognizable now but the love is still there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt! I love this quilt! I love this quilt!

    The colors are so striking. Good job.
    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love this wonderful quilt. Love what you did with the back. Great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Max è un bambino fortunato, ha una coperta bellissima!
    Ciao Domenica

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful~love the olive green color mixed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Max is so fortunate to have a quilt he likes that he can share with the dog, the truck, the monkey and many more in all the adventures he has wherever he drags this quilt! Great job, mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this quilt! Love the back as much as the front.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt looks great. Love the colours and the design. Great to see Max enjoying it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a cute quilt. And what an adorable little boy who drags it around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt and I am sure your son will love it into pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your quilt...front and back.I love when quilts get loved and used.

    ReplyDelete