MORE from Katie's Modern Nest

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tokyo Trains

Here's Block #1 of the Tokyo Trains quilt-along.  Its been so much fun choosing each fabric to make up the colored rail-lines. 


Working with the tiny 2" squares has been a challenge. I tried some new techniques to try and get the seams super-straight and consistent. Usually I press the seams to the side, but followed Elizabeth's advice to press them open. It did help to relieve the seam bulk and allowed me to sew straighter seams. I need to work on better pinning though.


I also tried using my zipper foot with a 1/4" seam guide. I found that I got a very consistent seam, but that sometimes the feed-dogs reached up and sucked my fabric down into the gears. I think for the next block, I am going back to my standard foot. I'll just have to go steady and slow.

1 comment:

  1. Make sure that you are using a brand new needle...the feed dogs always chew up my fabric when my needle gets dull.

    ReplyDelete