MORE from Katie's Modern Nest

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bees

Lets start with some beautiful fabric inspired by ocean, waves and kelp.

I get to be "Queen Bee" for September for the Sew Fun sewing bee. I am asking my friends to make wave-runner type improvisational blocks based on this  tutorial by Victoria.


I wanted to use an analogous color scheme, but I am hoping I have enough contrasting tones that I get the modern look that is so fabulous in Victoria's original quilt. You need to see it for yourself here. I cannot wait to see what the ladies come up with for their blocks.

Speaking of blocks, I am working on August blocks for Natalie. I thought I'd do two blocks that were pretty different from each other. The first is an improvisational block, I like to call it Jacob's ladder.


For the second, I thought I'd stretch myself and try something new, so I decided to paper piecing this block.

 

Really, paper piecing sounds intimidating, but I found it a very handy way to do intricate blocks. This is a great technique to have in the arsenal. I hope Natalie likes them!

No comments:

Post a Comment